Faux Sequin Starfish Tank
I made this little tank for Paige yesterday. Isn't it fun?
I love starfish. My family and I used to hunt for them at the beach when I was a little girl. It was the thrill of a lifetime each time we found one! I can't wait to take Paige starfish hunting one day.
(How old is Paige in this photo?? 16? gah.)
After discovering the fun of freezer paper stenciling, I am a little bit obsessed with painting clothes. I have about 8 million shirt ideas and only lack the, you know...actual shirts to put paint on. I need a knit shirt sponsor.
I know the starfish is a little summer-y. Maybe I'm jumping the seasonal gun a little bit? I didn't think of it as summer-y because I love nautical stuff so much! I'm totally into it during every season. I was inspired by all the shirts with little sequined designs on the front, but who has 50 hours to sew all those babies on? Not I. I'd love to get my hands on some sequin fabric, but until I find some I used gold glitter paint and a pencil eraser to get the effect! It was fun!
- Print out this template (click the photo to get the original size) and cut it out:
- Use the remaining paper as a guide, placing it on the front of the shirt with paperweights to keep it from flying away.
- Using gold puff paint, squeeze little dots all over.
- Press down with a (unused) pencil eraser.
- Peel paper off immediately.
- Let dry several hours (or blow dry with a blowdryer)
If you wanted to sew on a few sequins here and there it would probably look even more realistic.
(P.S. Don't you love Paige's necklace? It's actually two of my bracelets hooked together. It was perfect for her!)
Hope you're having a great week! Mine has been seriously. wonderful. I think because we've had lots of family time. It's nice. :o)