Have any of you been following Small Fry's "unplugged" week so far? They're going a week without tv or video games and sharing the fun with all of us. I love it!
My husband and I really try to raise Paige without a lot of electronic influence, although I try not to get too preachy about the issue. I don't like telling other parents what to do, and after all, I watched a pretty decent amount of tv growing up, and I turned out ok! :O) But for Paige I really try, try, try to keep her away from the tv/computer/ipad/phone. We don't have any video game systems, so that part is easy. Our rule is that she can watch a movie on Mondays and gets to play with the ipad in small doses throughout the week if she's done her school/chores and has been respectful. We just don't want her to miss her childhood.
Now, don't think that just because I'm passionate about it that it's easy for me. Or that I'm always consistent! In fact, life seems to be begging me to turn on the tv. Even while writing this, I can't help but imagine how quickly it would go if she were distracted in the other room. I'm typing her sweet interruptions in red to give you an idea. :O)
Let's look at the facts:
1. Paige is home schooled. Which means she's with me all. the. time.
2. Paige is an only child. Which means: she's with ME all. the. time.
3. Paige has never taken naps, which means she's with me all. the. time.
4. Sometimes I like ("Mom, are you done with your work now? Can we do something?") thinking full thoughts and finishing sentences. If Paige watched tv, I would probably be able to.
5. Paige loves tv. Like, it's her favorite thing ever. Nothing else compares. Except maybe the ipad. Because you can watch things on it. ("MOM!! I HAVE TO SHOW YOU SOMETHING ON THE MATTRESS!!!")
6. Most of Paige's friends are allowed to watch tv/play video games every day. Again, not at all judging the parenting there, it just makes me ("Mom can you make me my broccoli now?")look like the crazy mom a little bit when we're together. It's so hard not to give in! ("CAN YOU? I'm really hungry and you said you could.")
7. ("Mom, can I listen to songs on the ipad?") ("Mom, I'm ready for my broccoli. I've been waiting. It's seems like an hour.") ...um, what was number 7 again??
OK, you get the point. And I'm sure your lives are the same or very similar! I know it's so hard to raise our kids without tons of tv and video games. Some people say it's impossible even. But then, what did we do with our kids before tv? Maybe I could watch some Little House on the Prairie for inspiration.
I mean read some little house on the prairie for inspiration! :O) ("Mom? Are you ready? I've been waiting for two hours it seems like.")
Guys. I have to go make broccoli. :O)
Anyway. All I wanted to say was, Small Fry is going unplugged this week! Check it out!! :O)